Tuesday, February 06, 2007

a college student's unrealistic fantasies concerning what life will be like when she has a source of income

I have long used the term 'made it' to refer to that happy time of life when your wishes come true. As in, "y'know how I'll know when I've made it?" followed by a favorite fantasy. I suppose this is really just a thinly disguised way of saying, "y'know what I wish?" but ah well. Indulge me. This is, after all, my blog. Get your own if you want to have realistic fantasies. (But then, who wants to have realistic fantasies? They're no fun.)

I will know I have made it when I have:
1 solid wood doors
2 wood floors in every room, except possibly the bathroom and kitchen
3 windows with wooden frames
4 a house to have all these characteristics
5 a horse
6 and a buggy
7 a bookstore
8 and a personal library the size of a small bookstore (or a large bookstore, as long as we’re wishing…)
9 a cat
10 and a dog
11 enough money to drink milk at every meal
12 and enough money to eat real mac-and-cheese, not the kind in a box with cheese powder, but with milk and real cheddar cheese melted in a pan - lots of cheese, more cheese than anyone should eat in one sitting, enough to be coming off the macaroni in a long string extending from your bowl to your mouth every time you get a spoonful - real mac-and-cheese!
13 to feel awkward and guilty for not knowing what to get family and friends for Christmas, instead of feeling awkward and guilty because I have no money to buy them Christmas presents
14 a dwelling-place where I can sing in the shower and not fear that I’ll wake anyone up

No comments: